Bright blue upperparts
Red throat and breast
Less red on the breast
Scaly brown upperparts, head and breast
Blue wings and tail
Nepal, India, Eastern and Western Himalayas, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh Southeast Asia: Indochina, Myanmar, Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia, Thailand, Malaysia, Malay Peninsula, Borneo, Indonesia, Greater Sundas, Sumatra.
- C. t. tickelliae: India to south-weestern China (southern Yunnan), northern Myanmar and Bangladesh.
- C. t. jerdoni: Sri Lanka.
- C. t. sumatrensis: Southern peninsula Thailand to Malaysia and north-eastern Sumatra.
- C. t. indochina: Southern Myanmar to Thailand and Indochina.
- C. t. lamprus: Anambas Islands (South China Sea).
Open dry forest, deciduous woods, scrub, coffee plantations, bamboo and gardens.
It nests in a hole in a tree or amongst rocks and 3-5 eggs are laid.